Is your warehouse experiencing damaged racks caused by order pickers accidentally hitting them, resulting in costly product and/or rack repairs? Look no further, as USSI has a solution that can help.
Our fixed guidance system not only provides protection for your racking system, but it also delivers significant benefits to your warehouse and your business. By implementing our fixed guidance system, you can reduce operation costs associated with product and rack repairs while improving overall efficiency and productivity.
What is a guidance system?
Our Fixed Guidance system provides comprehensive protection to both the storage rack and merchandise during the use of order pickers. In addition to safeguarding against damage, our system optimizes storage space by minimizing the size of access aisles. By implementing the fixed guidance system, order pickers can efficiently and safely navigate through the storage system.
The system features thick angle iron that encapsulates the rack rows, firmly anchored to the floor using friction anchors. Each aisle entrance has a rigid entry, while the end of the rack rows features a terminal rail that distributes forces experienced by the entries when order pickers enter the aisle.
Additionally, the guidance system enables order picker operators to move horizontally and vertically without requiring any steering effort, which ultimately reduces labor and overall travel time.
Below are some questions we’ve been asked before about our Guidance System and the responses we give!
- What are the advantages of implementing a fixed guidance system in my warehouse?
- Order pickers can operate 1mph faster or 14% faster than wire guide
- Protects your rack from damage
- Ability to operate during a power outage
- Improved pick times due to faster order picker speed
- Helps with keeping the aisle free of debris/dirt that collects under your racking system which in return saves you cost on wheel wear, picker stability and overall efficiency
- Reduces operator error when navigating aisles
- Improves longevity of your order pickers
- Allows utilization of narrow rows to maximize the amount of racking in your warehouse
2. What are some paybacks directly related to adding a guidance system to my warehouse?
- By allowing order pickers to travel 1mph faster – that adds to 1 miles of extra travel time for every order picker every hour which adds up quickly when taking into account hourly labor operationally over time.
- Improves worker safety which will result in less worker compensation claims
- Mitigates rack repair cost
- Reduces wasted time traveling through the rows which translates to increased overall production which is directly related to you bottom profit dollar
- Allows order picker operator to focus on travel fast to the rack shelf location without steering the machine
3. Why should I use a USSI Fixed Guidance System over a Wire Guidance System?
- Unlike a wire guidance system, a fixed guidance system is not vulnerable to power outages or wire damage that can occur over time as the concrete floors age. Once the wire breaks, the order picker is no longer controlled by the system, jeopardizing the safety of the operator, the machine, the rack, and the stored products.
Moreover, wire guided systems require wider aisles, which can necessitate a larger building to accommodate the same amount of rack storage. The wire guided machines also have a slower maximum speed, further decreasing productivity. Opting for our fixed guidance system can help address these concerns and ensure smooth and safe operations in your warehouse. Let us elevate your rack aisle navigation to the next level!
Here’s a couple of FUN FACTS about our USSI Guidance System!
- Our guidance system has a wear plate entry and that wear plate can be replaced when it is worn out by simply unbolting the old one and bolting in a new one. The wear plate can easily be changed by a maintenance person in a matter of minutes without disrupting the operation of the facility.
- We are constantly looking at ways to innovate our Guidance System so you can be sure you are getting the best system!
- The USSI proprietary entries are designed as a wear plate to be easily replaced and can be flipped over to double the life of entry in the heavily impacted area